Statement of Significance (as of designation - May 15, 1975):
Site of a fort established by the British in 1814 in conjunction with the War of 1812. After the war, the fort became known as "Negro Fort," because of the runaway slaves who occupied it. In 1816 the U.S. Army destroyed the fort, helping precipitate the First Seminole War. Also contains site of Ft. Gadsen occupied by U.S. troops from 1818-1821.