Statement of Significance (as of designation - August 6, 1998):
Woodlawn was built between 1800-1805 for Major Lawrence Lewis and his wife Eleanor (Nelly) Parke Custis, on land that George Washington, his uncle and her step-grandfather, willed them. The brick house, designed by Dr. William Thornton, architect of the U.S. Capitol, integrates Georgian and Federal features in its design. Woodlawn is also a pivotal monument in the evolution of historic preservation in America. In 1948, a group was formed specifically to save it, and soon served as a prime example of the purposes for which the National Trust for Historic Preservation was created. In 1951, the Trust accepted Woodlawn as its flagship property.