Statement of Significance (as of designation - August 6, 1999):
Merion Friends Meeting House is the building most closely associated with the "Merioneth Adventurers," a group of Welsh quakers who came to Pennsylvania in 1682. The earliest known migration of Celtic-speaking Welsh people in the Western Hemisphere, they came in response to the egalitarian policies that William Penn practiced in his colony. The building is the second-oldest Friends meeting house in the country, having been started ca. 1695 and completed by 1714. The stone walled church, now stuccoed, is in the form of a T, and is a rare survivor of Welsh-inspired vernacular architecture.