Statement of Significance (as of designation - December 9, 1997):
Philadelphia was a center of the nineteenth-century American movement to abolish slavery, and the Johnson House was one of the important stationson the Underground Railroad that helped lead so many to freedom. From 1770 to 1908, five generations of the Quaker Johnson family, leading abolitionists and reformers, lived in this colonial stone house. Among the oldest structures in Germantown. It later served as a Woman's Club, and is now a historic house museum. The house is within the Colonial Germantown National Historic District.