Statement of Significance (as of designation - February 16, 2000):
Fort James Jackson was built by the United States Government between 1808 and 1812 to defend the harbor and city of Savannah, Georgia. It is nationally significant as one of only five surviving Second System Seacoast Fortifications. Most of the Second System forts were so radically redesigned by later defensive construction that little remains of their original works. Fort Jackson has nearly all of its Second System masonry, originial design, and function intact. Furthermore, Fort Jackson is the only surviving example of a masonry gun battery of that coastal defense system. Fort Jackson was manned by the Confederate Army during the Civil War, and following the fall of nearby Fort Pulaski, it successfully repelled a Union assault on October 1, 1862. The fort is preserved and interpreted through the efforts of the Coastal Heritage Society, based in Savannah.