Statement of Significance (as of designation - September 25, 1997):
The LeMoyne House was built in 1812, and was a center of antislavery activity in southwestern Pennsylvania from the 1830s through the end of slavery. In 1834, LeMoyne joined the Washington Anti-Slavery Society and was the organization's president from 1835 to 1837, after
which he was commissioned by the American Anti-Slavery Society to be its regional agent. LeMoyne, along with his children and wife
Madelaine, were active in the Underground Railroad.