[graphic] National Historic Landmarks Program header [graphic]NPS Arrowhead and link to www.nps.gov[photo] Chrysler Building, New York[photo] Brown Chapel, Selma AL[phtoto] Cape Hatteras Light Station, Buxton, North Carolina[photo] Pioneer Deep Space Station, Fort Irwin, CA
     
 
Desert Laboratory

Tucson, Arizona
County of Pima.
Off W. Anklam Road, west of Tucson
National Register Number: 66000190
Resource type: Building.
Property type: Agriculture/Subsistence - horticultural facility. The threat level was Watch in
2008.
Congressional District: AZ-7 Certified Local Government: NO
This NHL offers public access.
Please contact the NHL directly for visitor information.

Statement of Significance (as of designation - December 21, 1965):
Established in 1903 by the Carnegie Institution for the purpose of studying "the methods by which plants perform their functions under the extraordinary conditions existing in deserts," the Desert Laboratory was for over 35 years the center for the study of North American desert ecology. Much of the framework of plant ecology generally, and desert ecology in particular, was formulated here. Now part of University of Arizona.

Condition:
There is no change in the theats to the landmark: increased pedestrian traffic has increased incursions off trails; systematic illegal trail construction by locals; and pot hunting at an archeological site within the NHL boundary.

The city of Newburgh has completed the building feasibility study recommending appropriate uses for the building. No determination has been made at this time.


Comments and questions about the database may be directed to NHL_info@nps.gov