[graphic] National Historic Landmarks Program header [graphic]NPS Arrowhead and link to www.nps.gov[photo] Chrysler Building, New York[photo] Brown Chapel, Selma AL[phtoto] Cape Hatteras Light Station, Buxton, North Carolina[photo] Pioneer Deep Space Station, Fort Irwin, CA
     
 
New Haven Green Historic District

New Haven, Connecticut
County of New Haven.
Bounded by Chapel, College, Elm, and Church Streets
National Register Number: 70000838
Resource type: District.
Property type: Religious facility.
Certified Local Government: YES
This NHL offers public access.
Please contact the NHL directly for visitor information.
Current use/information: Churches: http://www.nhpt.org/Historic_District_Pages/nhgreen.html.

Statement of Significance (as of designation - December 30, 1970):
New Haven Green is significant as the setting for three churches erected between 1812 and 1816, remarkable both for individual architectural merit and as an outstanding urban ensemble of the 19th century. Center Church and United Church (fine examples of the Federal Style) and Trinity Church (one of the first large Gothic Revival structures in America) stand on the east side of the Green.


Comments and questions about the database may be directed to NHL_info@nps.gov