Statement of Significance (as of designation - May 28, 1987):
Built in 1857, this Renaissance Revival, two story, square house was the residence of the two Civil War Governors of California. Pro-Union Leland Stanford (1824-1893) was the first Republican to be elected Governor of the State; his successor, Frederick F. Low (1828-1894), was elected under the banner of the Union Party, a coalition of Republicans and Northern Democrats. Their leadership from 1862 to 1870 insured the State remained loyal to the Union. Stanford also served as President of the Central Pacific Railroad, which constructed the western portion of the transcontinental rail system.