Statement of Significance (as of designation - November 11, 1971):
Constructed 1858-1860 in the Classical Revival style, this pumping station represents 19th-century efforts to include symbolic and monumental functions in industrial architecture. The engine room is in the form of a temple, and the 169'-tall standpipe tower imitates triumphal Roman columns. Around the base of the standpipe is a circular colonnade embellished with ten statues, including nine figures from mythology and an Indian with his dog. The property is maintained by the Louisville Water Company.