Statement of Significance (as of designation - November 11, 1971):
The Shakertown at Pleasant Hill, among the most successful of 19th century religious communitarian settlements, was founded in 1805. The community plan was laid out in 1808, and from 1809 to 1860 the village grew to its maximum size and properity. By 1820, some 500 Shakers lived here on 3000 acres of land. The community was dissolved in 1910.