Statement of Significance (as of designation - December 4, 1991):
Founded in 1903 by Mary Chase Perry Stratton, Pewabic Pottery gained national recognition for iridescent glazes as well as their production of architectural tile. An artist of the Arts & Crafts Movement, Stratton was concerned with raising the artistic standard of American ceramicists. Her tile installations are private home, schools, and churches, as well as in the Detroit Institute of Arts, the Ford Factory in Oklahoma, Cranbrook Academy of Art, the Immaculate Conception Cathedral (in Washington, DC); her pottery is the only American work displayed in the Smithsonian Institution's Freer Gallery of Art. This building, designed by William Stratton, has been the home of Pewabic Pottery since 1907.