Statement of Significance (as of designation - November 7, 1973):
Completed in 1850, this is a small finely-executed example of the Neoclassical style thought to have been designed by New York architect A.J. Davis. One of the oldest buildings on the campus of the University of North Carolina, it was originally used for dances and alumni meetings, and later housed the library, a laboratory, a bath house, and the school of law. It became the Playmakers Theater in 1925.