Statement of Significance (as of designation - June 19, 1996):
Originally a private residence commissioned from Little & Browne of Boston for lavish entertaining, this limestone, detached building built between 1902 and 1905, is one of the largest and costliest homes in the city. The 50-room mansion was commissioned by Ambassador (ret.) Larz Anderson and his wife as their home, but planned for its eventual use as national headquarters, museum and library of the Society of the Cincinnati. Anderson was a descendant of a founder of the nation's oldest patriotic order, composed of descendants of Revolutionary War officers. Except for brief periods during World War II it has served as the Society's headquarters since 1938.