[graphic] National Historic Landmarks Program header [graphic]NPS Arrowhead and link to www.nps.gov[photo] Chrysler Building, New York[photo] Brown Chapel, Selma AL[phtoto] Cape Hatteras Light Station, Buxton, North Carolina[photo] Pioneer Deep Space Station, Fort Irwin, CA
     
 
Old Capitol (Iowa)

Iowa City, Iowa
County of Johnson.
University of Iowa campus
National Register Number: 72000475
Resource type: Building.
Property type: Government - capitol. The threat level was Satisfactory in
2008.
Congressional District: IA-1 Certified Local Government: YES
This NHL offers public access.
Please contact the NHL directly for visitor information.
Current use/information: Part of University of Iowa.

Statement of Significance (as of designation - January 7, 1976):
Completed in 1846, this domed Greek Revival structure was built as the third Territorial capitol and served as the first permanent capitol for the State. When the legislature moved to Des Moines in 1857, the building became the first permanent building of the University of Iowa.

Condition:
There is no threat to the NHL at this time.

A single handrail was added to East steps of the building. This is not original to the building, but was added for better accessibility to the building.


Comments and questions about the database may be directed to NHL_info@nps.gov