Statement of Significance (as of designation - November 28, 1972):
From 1762 to 1782, this two-story frame house was the home of General John Glover, a brigadier general in the Continental Army and a well-to-do merchant. Glover and his regiment of Marblehead mariners were responsible for the evacuation of American troops from Long Island and were with Washington when he crossed the Delaware. Glover and his men led the advance on Trenton and took part in the battle of Princeton. Later, Glover participated in the sieges of Saratoga and Newport. In 1783 a grateful Congress breveted him a major general in recognition of his many services to the cause of independence.