[graphic] National Historic Landmarks Program header [graphic]NPS Arrowhead and link to www.nps.gov[photo] Chrysler Building, New York[photo] Brown Chapel, Selma AL[phtoto] Cape Hatteras Light Station, Buxton, North Carolina[photo] Pioneer Deep Space Station, Fort Irwin, CA
     
 
United States Marine Corps Barrack And Commandant'S House

Washington, District of Columbia
County of District of Columbia.
National Register Number: 72001435
Resource type: District.
Property type: Defense - military facility.
Certified Local Government: NO

Statement of Significance (as of designation - May 11, 1976):
This block-square urban complex, its site selected by President Thomas Jefferson, is the Nation's oldest continuously active Marine Corps installation. It served as the Corps' headquarters from 1801 to 1901, and commandants have lived here since 1805. It is now the home of the Marine Band, the official White House musical unit which has played for every president since John Adams. John Philip Souza was band leader here form 1880 to 1892.


Comments and questions about the database may be directed to NHL_info@nps.gov