Statement of Significance (as of designation - November 7, 1973):
Completed in 1845, this was Charleston's first Gothic Revival building, and the first Gothic design by architect E. B. White. The exterior of the brick building is stuccoed, with buttresses between each bay. The interior is noted for its ceiling, imitating in plaster the stone groin vaults of true Gothic construction.