Statement of Significance (as of designation - May 30, 1974):
On July 4, 1916, at a site where a fine old mansion with a slave pen in the rear had once stood, the American Federation of Labor dedicated its new international headquarters (1916-1956). President Woodrow Wilson delivered the chief address. The imposing seven story brick and limestone building served to symbolize the Federation's growth from, in the words of its founder, Samuel Gompers, "a weakling into the strongest, best organized labor movement of all the world." Not open to the public.