Statement of Significance (as of designation - April 19, 1993):
Canterbury Shaker Village (CSV) is a complex of 24 communal religious, residential, and workshop buildings constructed between 1792 and 1932. It is among the most architecturally intact and authentic of the surviving Shaker villages. Although the death of Sister Ethel Hudson in 1992 brought an end to the Shakers' residence at Canterbury, the substantial artifact collections as well as archives containing oral historic documentation, journals, photographs and other records provide a comprehensive view of two hundred years of daily life at the village. In addition, archaeological investigation, measured drawings and historic structures reports describing the history, interior and exterior design, and condition of each building provide a critical permanent record of the physical fabric of the village, making Canterbury the best-preserved of the remaining Shaker villages.