[graphic] National Historic Landmarks Program header [graphic]NPS Arrowhead and link to www.nps.gov[photo] Chrysler Building, New York[photo] Brown Chapel, Selma AL[phtoto] Cape Hatteras Light Station, Buxton, North Carolina[photo] Pioneer Deep Space Station, Fort Irwin, CA
     
 
Big Four House

Sacramento, California
County of Sacramento.
220-226 K St
National Register Number: 76000541
Resource type: Building.
Property type: Commerce/Trade - business.
Congressional District: CA-5 Certified Local Government: YES
This NHL offers public access.
Please contact the NHL directly for visitor information.
Current use/information: Shops.

Statement of Significance (as of designation - July 4, 1961):
Built in 1852, the Big Four House was named after the "big four"--Collis Huntington, Mark Hopkins, Leland Stanford, and Charles Crocker--who planned, financed, and built the Western end of America's first transcontinental railway. It was in this structure that the four made their offices while organizing the Central Pacific (California to Utah) section of the railway, and where subsequently they founded the Southern Pacific Railroad (to Southern California) in 1873.


Comments and questions about the database may be directed to NHL_info@nps.gov