Statement of Significance (as of designation - May 11, 1976):
From 1899 to 1930, this structure was the home of the father of Dow Chemical Corporation. Around 1890, Herbert Dow discovered that bromine could be separated from raw brine by electrolysis. This was the first time an electrochemical process had been employed in the country, and Dow recognized the great potential it offered. He moved to Midland, which had numerous brine deposits with large concentrations of bromine, and in 1887 he founded the Dow Chemical Coumpany.