[graphic] National Historic Landmarks Program header [graphic]NPS Arrowhead and link to www.nps.gov[photo] Chrysler Building, New York[photo] Brown Chapel, Selma AL[phtoto] Cape Hatteras Light Station, Buxton, North Carolina[photo] Pioneer Deep Space Station, Fort Irwin, CA
     
 
Plaza Ferdinand VII

Pensacola, Florida
County of Escambia.
Palafox Street between Government and Zaragossa Streets
National Register Number: 66000264
Resource type: Site.
Property type: Landscape - plaza. The threat level was Satisfactory in
2008.
Congressional District: FL-1 Certified Local Government: NO
This NHL offers public access.
Please contact the NHL directly for visitor information.
Current use/information: Plaza.

Statement of Significance (as of designation - October 9, 1960):
This was the site of the completion of the formal transfer of Florida from Spain to the U.S. on July 17, 1821. Andrew Jackson, as newly appointed Governor, officially proclaimed the establishment of the Florida Territory. Pensacola was established as its temporary capital.

Condition:
There are no threats indicated at this time.

There are no changes indicated at this time.


Comments and questions about the database may be directed to NHL_info@nps.gov