Statement of Significance (as of designation - May 11, 1976):
From 1890 to 1895 this brick house was the home of scientist Edward G. Acheson (1856-1931). In all probability it is also the site where, in 1891, he conducted experiments that led to his invention of carborundum, his name for silicon carbide. A mixture of clay and powdered coke, fused by means of an electrical current, Carborundum was then -- and for fifty years remained -- the hardest known artificial substance in the world. It has been used in countless industrial processes, primarily as an abrasive, over the years. Acheson's achievements are all the more remarkable in that he was self-educated and worked independently.