Point Hudson, located adjacent to what is now downtown Port Townsend, was used by local Indian tribes long before Captain Vancouvers party came ashore in 1792. In 1934, the site became a U.S. Quarantine Station. Today the site is a tourist attraction, site of the annual Wooden Boat Festival, restaurants, moorage, small businesses, a bed and breakfast and private residences. The Port of Port Townsend has owned the property since 1956 but has leased it to a private management entity until last year. In 2003, Port officials approached the City of Port Townsend seeking demolition permits for all but three of the building on site, citing prohibitive costs to bring the buildings up to code. Most recently, the Port has backed off on immediate plans for demolition, and the City and local preservationists are working with the Port to seek alternatives for compatible new development and re-use of existing historic structures.