Statement of Significance (as of designation - December 20, 1989):
The 1920 Lightship No. 103, also known by her last official designation, Huron, is the only surviving example of a lightship type specifically built for service on the Great Lakes. Lightships were vital partners of Great Lakes shipping, particularly where shoals and reefs far from land could not be safely marked by lighthouses. The Lake Huron station was at the south end of the lake at the entrance to the St. Clair River, on the primary trade route of the Great Lakes. The last lightship to serve on the Great Lakes, No. 103 is now an outdoor exhibit.