[graphic] National Historic Landmarks Program header [graphic]NPS Arrowhead and link to www.nps.gov[photo] Chrysler Building, New York[photo] Brown Chapel, Selma AL[phtoto] Cape Hatteras Light Station, Buxton, North Carolina[photo] Pioneer Deep Space Station, Fort Irwin, CA
     
 
Fort San Marcos De Apalache

St. Marks, Florida
County of Wakulla.
18 miles south of Tallahassee on U.S. 319 and FL 363
National Register Number: 66000271
Resource type: Site.
Property type: Defense - fortification. The threat level was Threatened in
2008.
Congressional District: FL-2 Certified Local Government: NO
This NHL offers public access.
Please contact the NHL directly for visitor information.
Current use/information: State Historic Site; http://www.dos.state.fl.us/dhr/bar/san_luis/slfacts.html.

Statement of Significance (as of designation - November 13, 1966):
This is the site of successive wooden and masonry fortifications occupied throughout the Spanish and British colonial periods, and by U.S. troops during the Second Seminole War. Capture of the Spanish fort by Andrew Jackson in 1818 was instrumental in events leading to the American acquisition of Florida in 1821.

Condition:
In 2006, erosion was reported as threatening significant archeological features. This situation has now worsened, as two years have passed, and the issue has not been addressed. The park staff has tried to obtain funding through grants to stabilize the area, but none of their efforts have proven successful. The three archeological sites are within the tidal zone of the St. Marks River.

A volunteer site has been added to the park for 24-hour security.


Comments and questions about the database may be directed to NHL_info@nps.gov