Statement of Significance (as of designation - January 3, 2001):
The Cape Ann Light Station is nationally significant as the last light station to be established under colonial rule and is the first station to mark a navigational hazard rather than a harbor entrance. Its location was important to the development of international and coastal trade during the nineteenth century. Crucially important in the early American coastal trade, the lights stand at a historically pivotal location where this country's maritime transportation network to and from Europe, Canada, and the West Indies, converged on Massachusetts Bay. The lights also reflect important advances in technology and engineering, especially in terms of illumination. The 50-acre site contains 6 contributing resources from the 1861-1932 period of significance.