Statement of Significance (as of designation - April 19, 1994):
Designed by Chicago architect Daniel Burnham, Orchestra Hall has been host for an incredible variety of performances and presentations since its dedication in 1904. During the its first 50 years, Orchestra Hall was the regular home of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. During its first half-century, under the leadership of only two conductors, both of major repute--Theodore Thomas (1891-1905) and Frederick August Stock (1905-1918; 1919-1942)--the orchestra assumed and held a premier place in American music. Since the 1940s, particularly under Fritz Reiner and Georg Solti, it has remained among the first rank of symphonies in the Nation. The Cliff Dwellers Club, founded in 1907 as an arts club, is housed on the 9th floor.