Statement of Significance (as of designation - December 17, 1982):
An elaborate Moorish-style building of stuccoed masonry, this complex structure contains the two-story mud and stone building presented to the U.S. in 1821 by Sultan Moulay Suliman. The first property acquired abroad by the U.S. Government, it housed the U.S. Legation and Consulate for 140 years, the longest period any building abroad has been occupied as a U.S. diplomatic post. It is symbolic of the 1786 Morocco-U.S. treaty of friendship, which is still in force today. During World War II it served as headquarters for U.S. intelligence agents.