Statement of Significance (as of designation - June 21, 1990):
This building is the site where, from 1895 to 1897, Wilbur and Orville Wright began to manufacture their own brand of bicycles. This activity contributed the know-how and financial resources critical to their experiments in aviation. Their years of working with sprockets, spokes, chain drives, tires, metals, lathes, drills, and engines were of great value to the pair in designing and building their first gliders and flying machines. The Wright brothers also operated the Wright Printing Shop on the second floor of the building during these years.