[graphic] National Historic Landmarks Program header [graphic]NPS Arrowhead and link to www.nps.gov[photo] Chrysler Building, New York[photo] Brown Chapel, Selma AL[phtoto] Cape Hatteras Light Station, Buxton, North Carolina[photo] Pioneer Deep Space Station, Fort Irwin, CA
     
 
Second Bank of the United States

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
County of Philadelphia.
420 Chestnut Street
National Register Number: 87001293
Resource type: Building.
The threat level was Satisfactory in
2006.
Congressional District: PA-1 Certified Local Government: NO
This NHL offers public access.
Please contact the NHL directly for visitor information.
Current use/information: Part of Independence National Historic Park - see www.nps.gov/inde/second-bank.html; Temp. closed..
Web Site: www.nps.gov/inde/second-bank.html.

Statement of Significance (as of designation - May 4, 1987):
Completed in 1824, this huge temple structure, one of the finest examples of Greek Revival architecture in the country, was designed by William Strickland. Chartered by Congress in 1817, the Second Bank of the United States became, under the leadership of Nicholas Biddle, an effective regulator of the national economy; however, following the determined leadership of President Andrew Jackson, Congress allowed the bank's charter to expire in 1836.

Condition:
There are no threats to the landmark at this time

There has been no change since the last reporting period (2004).


Comments and questions about the database may be directed to NHL_info@nps.gov