Statement of Significance (as of designation - December 23, 1987):
Minard Lafever, one of mid-19th century America's leading architects, secured his reputation with the design of this outstanding Gothic Revival church. Built in 1844-1847, it was largely funded by Edgar John Bartow, who had dreamed of building the finest church in New York City. The windows, by brothers William and John Bolton, comprise the earliest complete set of stained glass designed and fabricated in this country. The sandstone spire that once soared above the tower has been removed.