[graphic] National Historic Landmarks Program header [graphic]NPS Arrowhead and link to www.nps.gov[photo] Chrysler Building, New York[photo] Brown Chapel, Selma AL[phtoto] Cape Hatteras Light Station, Buxton, North Carolina[photo] Pioneer Deep Space Station, Fort Irwin, CA
     
 
U-505 (German Submarine)

Chicago, Illinois
County of Cook.
Jackson Park- Museum of Science & Industry
National Register Number: 89001231
Resource type: Structure.
Property type: Defense - naval facility. The threat level was Satisfactory in
2006.
Congressional District: IL-6 Certified Local Government: YES
This NHL offers public access.
Please contact the NHL directly for visitor information.
Current use/information: Museum Exhibit; http://www.maritime.org/hnsa-u505.htm.

Statement of Significance (as of designation - June 29, 1989):
On June 4, 1944, this long-range Type IXC U-boat became the first foreign warship captured on the high seas by the U.S. Navy since 1815. Designed to prey on American and South Atlantic sealanes, U-505 was located by an anti-submarine task force built around the escort carrier USS GUADACANAL, "Can Do"; the submarine was damaged and boarded off Cape Blanco in French West Africa, and brought to the U.S. where she provided valuable intelligence information about German naval equipment and codes. She serves as a memorial to the 55,000 Americans who lost their lives at sea in the Second World War.

Condition:
There is no threat to the NHL at this time

The Museum of Science and Industry completed a 40,000 sq. ft. fully enclosed building to house the submarine. The building enables the Museum to monitor and control the temperature and humidity levels. The U-505 sustained no damage during the move and construction phases of the project. The Museum also worked to conserve and restore the boat by treating and patching damaged and rust spots. The interior and exterior surfaces were repainted to reflect the boat’s original paint scheme from 1944. The two bronze propellers have been restored, the non-original handrails have been removed from the deck, and the sound and radio rooms have been restored to their 1944 configuration. Replicas of the floor plates in the engine rooms were produced to replace the unsafe originals which are now in storage. The U-505 submarine opened its new exhibit space on June 4, 2005, on the anniversary of the boast’s capture. Since that time over 800,000 visitors have viewed the exhibit with nearly 200,000 having toured the boat’s interior.


Comments and questions about the database may be directed to NHL_info@nps.gov