Statement of Significance (as of designation - October 9, 1960):
First occupied by the French built in 1720, this was the center of French civil and military goverment in the Illinois area in during the 18th century. The French held the garrison until October 1765, when English troops replaced them in accordance with the the treaty that ended the French and Indian War. In 1772, the fort was destroyed by the British. Now a State park, this is a reconstruction of the third fort built on this site.