Statement of Significance (as of designation - December 19, 1960):
From 1811 until 1852, this two story brick mansion was the residence of Henry Clay (1777-1852), the distinguished pre-Civil War political leader, statesman, and Presidential candidate. Clay served as a U.S. Senator, Speaker of the House, and Secretary of State. The house was reconstructed after Clay's death on the original plan.