Statement of Significance (as of designation - December 29, 1962):
Ralph Waldo Emerson, poet, essayist, and lecturer, occupied this square frame house from 1835 until his death in 1882. Emerson became a minister after he graduated from Harvard in 1821. Although he ceased being a minister in 1831, he continued to "preach" through his poems, essays and lectures. All his major works espousing and explaining his personal transcendental philosophy and his belief in the power of man to change for the better were prepared in this house.