Statement of Significance (as of designation - October 9, 1960):
Colonial Maryland's governor Horatio Sharpe built this extraordinary brick Georgian villa in the 1760s as his private country retreat. The Corinthian portico that centers the river façade of the five-part Palladian house is one of the earliest of its type in American architecture. Its details are taken from a 1742 English publication, "The Modern Builder's Assistant." The notable interior woodwork is attributed to William Buckland.