Statement of Significance (as of designation - October 9, 1960):
Site of a mission established by Pere Jacques Marquette, who was buried here in 1677; now a municipal park. The Second Mission, reestablished in 1837, was moved to the park in 1954.
There is currently no threat to this landmark.
The site is interpreted in a late 19th-century church structure moved from another location. Grounds are well kept, though surounded by tourist-related businesses.