[graphic] National Historic Landmarks Program header [graphic]NPS Arrowhead and link to www.nps.gov[photo] Chrysler Building, New York[photo] Brown Chapel, Selma AL[phtoto] Cape Hatteras Light Station, Buxton, North Carolina[photo] Pioneer Deep Space Station, Fort Irwin, CA
     
 
Fort Robinson and Red Cloud Agency

Crawford, Nebraska
County of Dawes.
2 miles west of Crawford on U.S. Rte 20
National Register Number: 66000442
Resource type: District.
Property type: Defense - military facility. The threat level was Watch in
2004.
Congressional District: NE-3 Certified Local Government: NO
This NHL offers public access.
Please contact the NHL directly for visitor information.
Current use/information: Museums.

Statement of Significance (as of designation - December 19, 1960):
In 1873, the U.S. Government moved Chief Red Cloud and his large band of Cheyenne, Arapaho, and Sioux to the White River area; nearby Fort Robinson was established in 1874 to protect government employees and property. The fort served as a base for Army campaigns against several groups of Native Americans, including the 1876 campaign against the Powder River Sioux. After 1919, the fort became a major Quartermaster Remount Depot.

There is an continuous loss of historic materials as part of maintenance work at the state park. For example, the slate roof on Barn 103 was replaced with asphalt.


Comments and questions about the database may be directed to NHL_info@nps.gov