Statement of Significance (as of designation - July 4, 1961):
Between 1849 and the outbreak of the Civil War, Henry Ward Beecher, noted abolitionist and minister of Plymouth Church, made the church a center of antislavery sentiment. William Lloyd Garrison and John Greenleaf Whittier were among other abolitionists who preached from its pulpit. The church, established as Brooklyn's Second Congregational Church, was designed to accomodate the crowds that came to hear Beecher and his cohorts. Its simple design reflects the Puritain ethic of plain living and high thinking, and the walls that once rang to the sound of abolition oratory remain largely unchanged.