[graphic] National Historic Landmarks Program header [graphic]NPS Arrowhead and link to www.nps.gov[photo] Chrysler Building, New York[photo] Brown Chapel, Selma AL[phtoto] Cape Hatteras Light Station, Buxton, North Carolina[photo] Pioneer Deep Space Station, Fort Irwin, CA
     
 
Players Club, The

New York, New York
County of New York.
16 Gramercy Park
National Register Number: 66000549
Resource type: Building.
Property type: Social - clubhouse.
Certified Local Government: YES
This NHL offers public access.
Please contact the NHL directly for visitor information.
Current use/information: Museum.

Statement of Significance (as of designation - December 29, 1962):
This handsome brownstone residence was purchased in 1888 and donated by Edwin Booth, founder and first president of the Players Club, to be a clubhouse for his fellow thespians. He commissioned architect Stanford White to transform it into a clubhouse. Booth also contributed his books and memorabilia, which became the nucleus of a fine and rare collection of theatrical literature and memorabilia.


Comments and questions about the database may be directed to NHL_info@nps.gov