Statement of Significance (as of designation - July 4, 1961):
Established in 1842, Fort Scott served first as a frontier outpost along the "Permanent Indian Frontier", then as a Civil War garrison. The fort was abandoned in 1853. During the Civil War, the fort was a major focal point of black troop activity and training. Fort Scott is now a National Historic Site, and consists of a number of structures and sites around a central parade ground.