Statement of Significance (as of designation - July 19, 1964):
The northernmost outpost of the Central Plains tradition (c. 1500 AD), this is the site of an extraordinarily large fortified village atop a low mesa overlooking the Missouri River. The site covers some 70n acres with 24 bastions. Forty-four circular house rings have been noted. The village likely represents the Arikara Indians at the time they were differentiating from the Pawnee.