[graphic] National Historic Landmarks Program header [graphic]NPS Arrowhead and link to www.nps.gov[photo] Chrysler Building, New York[photo] Brown Chapel, Selma AL[phtoto] Cape Hatteras Light Station, Buxton, North Carolina[photo] Pioneer Deep Space Station, Fort Irwin, CA
     
 
King Ranch

Kingsville and, Texas
County of Kenedy.
National Register Number: 66000820
Resource type: District.
Property type: Farm/Ranch. The threat level was Satisfactory in
2008.
Congressional District: TX-27 Certified Local Government: YES
This NHL offers public access.
Please contact the NHL directly for visitor information.
Current use/information: www.king-ranch.com.

Statement of Significance (as of designation - November 5, 1961):
Founded in 1852 by Richard King (1825-1885), who purchased a Spanish land grant of 75,000 acres, the ranch grew steadily to include over 1 Million acres spread over 4 South Texas counties and become the largest ranch in the country. The famous Santa Gertrudis breed of cattle, named for the original Spanish land grant, was developed here.

Condition:
The condition is excellent. King Ranch actively preserves and maintains the historically significant aspects of the property and remains a working ranch with 154 years of documented history.


Comments and questions about the database may be directed to NHL_info@nps.gov