[graphic] National Historic Landmarks Program header [graphic]NPS Arrowhead and link to www.nps.gov[photo] Chrysler Building, New York[photo] Brown Chapel, Selma AL[phtoto] Cape Hatteras Light Station, Buxton, North Carolina[photo] Pioneer Deep Space Station, Fort Irwin, CA
     
 
Red Cross (American National) Headquarters

Washington, District of Columbia
County of District of Columbia.
17th and D Streets, NW
National Register Number: 66000853
Resource type: Building.
Property type: Social - civic.
Certified Local Government: NO
This NHL offers public access.
Please contact the NHL directly for visitor information.
Current use/information: Red Cross Headquarters.
Web Site: www.redcross.org/hec/1980-present/visitors.html.

Statement of Significance (as of designation - June 23, 1965):
Constructed between 1915 and 1917, this monumental white marble Classical Revival building was designed to serve a dual purpose: as a memorial to women who served in the Civil War and as administrative headquarters of the nation's official relief organization. The Red Cross began in Europe to give aid on a neutral basis to the sick and wounded during wartime. Clara Barton (1821-1912) founded the American Association of the Red Cross in 1881, and it was granted a Congressional charter in 1900.


Comments and questions about the database may be directed to NHL_info@nps.gov