[graphic] National Historic Landmarks Program header [graphic]NPS Arrowhead and link to www.nps.gov[photo] Chrysler Building, New York[photo] Brown Chapel, Selma AL[phtoto] Cape Hatteras Light Station, Buxton, North Carolina[photo] Pioneer Deep Space Station, Fort Irwin, CA
     
 
Decatur House

Washington, District of Columbia
County of District of Columbia.
748 Jackson Place, NW
National Register Number: 66000858
Resource type: Building.
Property type: Domestic - single dwelling. The threat level was Satisfactory in
2006.
Certified Local Government: NO
This NHL offers public access.
Please contact the NHL directly for visitor information.
Current use/information: House Museum.

Statement of Significance (as of designation - December 19, 1960):
Designed by one of America's first professional architects for Commodore Stephen Decatur, suppressor of the Barbary pirates. Later residents included Henry Clay, Martin Van Buren, and Judah P. Benjamin.

Condition:
Currently, there are no threats to the landmark

Decatur House has received grant funds from Save America's Treasures, the Historic Sites Fund of the National Trust for Historic Preservation, and the National Endowment for the Humanities' Interpreting America's Historic Places initiative. Decatur House received a grant from Save America's Treasures in 2005 that supports research and restoration work in the entry hall, stair hall, and a bedroom of the 1819 structure. Restoration of architectural finishes in the entry hall and stair hall, spaces that retain most of Benjamin Latrobe's original design details, is set to begin in summer 2006.


Comments and questions about the database may be directed to NHL_info@nps.gov