[graphic] National Historic Landmarks Program header [graphic]NPS Arrowhead and link to www.nps.gov[photo] Chrysler Building, New York[photo] Brown Chapel, Selma AL[phtoto] Cape Hatteras Light Station, Buxton, North Carolina[photo] Pioneer Deep Space Station, Fort Irwin, CA
     
 
Old Patent Office

Washington, District of Columbia
County of District of Columbia.
F and G Streets between 7th and 9th Streets, NW
National Register Number: 66000902
Resource type: Building.
Property type: Government Building: Federal. The threat level was Satisfactory in
2008.
Certified Local Government: NO
This NHL offers public access.
Please contact the NHL directly for visitor information.
Current use/information: Art Museum.

Statement of Significance (as of designation - January 12, 1965):
Constructed in four sections over a 31 year period beginning in 1836, this is one of the largest Greek Revival buildings built by the U.S. government in the 19th century. Born of confused architectural parentage, this building nevertheless achieved a unity of design and boldly simple monumentality unsurpassed in American civil architecture. It now houses the National Portrait Gallery and National Museum of American Art.

Condition:
The landmark was completely renovated in July 2006.

The landmark underwent a $166 million renovation of all system and historic fabric from Jan. 2000 to July1, 2006.


Comments and questions about the database may be directed to NHL_info@nps.gov