Statement of Significance (as of designation - October 9, 1960):
The easternmost outpost of French Louisiana Territory, Fort Toulouse (1717-1763) was situated strategically just below the southern tip of the Appalachian highland, at the confluence of the Coosa and Tallapoosa Rivers. The fort protected French settlements downstream from Mobile Bay west to New Orleans, as well as serving as a trading post. After the Treaty of Paris (1763), the French abandoned the fort. In 1814, after defeating the Creek at Horseshoe Bend, Andrew Jackson built Fort Jackson on the site; the treaty which officially ended the Creek War was signed here on August 9, 1814.