Statement of Significance (as of designation - December 24, 1976):
Erected in 1748-49, this house is one of the most notable early Georgian manor houses. It is significant architecturally for its beautiful stone and brick masonry, the excellent detail of its woodwork and the beautiful refined paneling in the principal rooms. The Van Cortlandt family lived here until 1889, when they deeded the house and grounds to the City of New York. Today, it is a public park.